1931 A COILOVER CONVERSIONDecember 19, 2019
VK56 S13December 19, 2019
Car: 1989 Saleen/1988 Mustangs
Class: Various US Pro Am/Kings of Europe Drift series
Cage: Both cars were built to FIA spec.
Other Goodies: The Saleen was a numbers correct barn find with 35000 miles. It got a Maximum Motorsports front end, Coyote swap with a Boss manifold and BBK headers, Custom sheet metal dash. The Fox recieved a Fuel Safe race cell and was sent over to Europe to be completed.
(NOTE: All Pictures Below can be Clicked to Expand. Press ESC to close.)
This car was a numbers correct Saleen barn find with only 35000 miles.
This build got some bad PR when we started cutting it up. At the end of the day, you build what the customer asks you to build.
The first step was to put an FIA spec cage in it. Being this customer lives in Germany, and this car was going to be used to compete in US, the customer asked that it be built to spec in case it also winds up over sees with her other one.
FIA cages are much more elaborate than local SCCA/NASA/Formula D style cages. Extra bars, and bolt in floor plates (that we additionally welded) are all required..
The next step was to pull the tired old 5.0 and replace it with a coyote. The stock ’15 mustang coyote is run by a FRPP control pack, and had the Boss manifold and a set of BBK headers installed for performance gains. It was tuned at DB Performance and dyno’d at 429 whp, 370 wtq. Those numbers were at 7500 rpm which is where the stock cams begin to fall off. The Boss manifold flows well up to 8500 so a set of cams would wake this motor up quite a bit more in the future. We used Maximum Motorsports front K member and it was a very easy install an made dropping the Coyote in a breeze.
To monitor the new motor, a new set of gauges and controls was necessary. An aluminum dash was fabricated and mounted with a switch panel bumped out for ease of reach. In this day of electronic everything, it’s kind of nice to see someone that still wants analog gauges and toggle switches. The stock wiring was completely gutted in place of the new wiring for just the bare essentials.
A front bash bar and carbon hood finished off the package for this car
A near identical FIA cage was built for her second car as well. We did add a couple additional bars including a rocker bar that tied into the door bar to protect from side impact a little more.
FIA requires that mounting plates be bolted with welded additionally as an option. Guess they just do it different over there.
A rear firewall was added to allow for the fuel cell. The Fuel Safe fuel cell was then framed in. This was their brand new (at the time) drift cell with with offset pickup, and pumps housed in a surge tank. You can also see the Maximum Motorsport panhard bar and lower arms.
The dual calipers and rear bash bar are pretty standard issue if you want to drift hard.